Brian Flaherty, Ph.D.
Associate ProfessorDegree From: The Pennsylvania State University
Interests: Latent class and mixture models; Measurement; Analysis of change over time; Substance use and dependence
|Do I accept and train new psychology graduate students in general?|
|Am I accepting new graduate students in the upcoming year?|
|I am POSSIBLY accepting graduate students in 2022-2023, please contact me directly with questions|
My research combines statistical and substantive work, with a developmental perspective. Broadly, my statistical interests include latent variable models, psychometrics and the analysis of change. Recently, my focus has been on the use of latent class and mixture models, especially model selection and as psychometric models. Substantively, my work focuses on cigarette smoking & nicotine dependence; substance use in general; and adolescent development. My recent substantive work has focused on the identification and measurement of cigarette smoking and substance profiles or patterns.
- Roberts, S. T., Flaherty, B. P., Deya, R., Masese, L., Ngina, J., McClelland, R. S., Simoni, J., Graham, S. M. (2018). Patterns of gender-based violence and associations with mental health and sexual risk behavior among female sex workers in Mombasa Kenya: A latent class analysis. AIDS and Behavior. doi:10.1007/s10461-018-2107-4
- Staples, J. M., Neilson, E. C., George, W. H., Flaherty, B. P., & Davis, K. C. (2018). A descriptive analysis of alcohol behaviors across gender subgroups within a sample of transgender adults. Addictive Behaviors, 76, 355–362. doi:10.1016/j.addbeh.2017.08.0172
- Flaherty, B. P. (2015). Cigarette smoking patterns as a case study of theory oriented latent class analysis. In. L. M. Scheier (Ed.), Handbook of Adolescent Drug Use Prevention: Research, Intervention Strategies, and Practice (pp. 437–458). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Kristman-Valente, A. N. & Flaherty, B. P. (2015). Latino cigarette smoking patterns by gender in a US-national sample. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 50(1), 34–47. doi:10.1007/s12160-015-9729-9
- Flaherty, B. P. & Kiff, C. J. (2012). Latent class and latent profile models. In H. Cooper & K. Sher (Eds.), Handbook of Research Methods in Psychology: Vol. 3 (pp. 391–404). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. doi:10.1037/13621-019
- Flaherty, B. P. (2008). Testing the degree of cross-sectional and longitudinal dependence between two discrete dynamic processes. Developmental Psychology, 44, 468--480
- Flaherty, B. P. (2002). Assessing the reliability of categorical substance use items with latent class analysis. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 68S, 7--20.
- Shanahan, M. J. & Flaherty, B. P. (2001). Dynamic patterns of time use strategies in adolescence. Child Development, 72, 385--401.
- Collins, L. M., Graham, J. W., & Flaherty, B. P. (1998). An alternative framework for defining mediation. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 33, 295--312.