Emergency Resources

Thanks to the Scandinavian Studies Department for providing the model and inspiration for a resource page during the COVID-19 pandemic. We will be adding to this page as more sources of support are created/identified.

Last updated: 1/26/21

These resources have been compiled as a result of crowdsourcing and researching information. While they are meant to inform and benefit members of the Psychology Ph.D. Graduate Program, not all of these resources are directly connected to or endorsed by the Department.

Bolles Fellowship Funds [Psychology Ph.D. Graduate Program Specific]

The Psychology Ph.D. Graduate Program can use our Bolles Fellowship Funds to provide emergency aid to students. Please complete the application form here (UW NetID required). Please note, students who are on financial aid will need to report any funds received via this mechanism as income to the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Pantry Program [Psychology Ph.D. Graduate Program Specific]

The Psychology Ph.D. Graduate Program is continuing with our emergency pantry giftcard program which has now been shifted to an electronic deposit of up to $75 as of February 2021. Please contact Jeanny (jeanny@uw.edu) if an emergency pantry giftcard can assist in your situation. (1 per student, per month, while supplies last).

Short Term Loans

The Office of Student Financial Aid has funds available for short-term loans to assist registered students. This is a loan which must be repaid. There is no interest but there is a $30 service charge. Graduate Students may apply for up to $3,200. If you have any questions, feel free to talk to a counselor in the Office of Student Financial Aid, 105 Schmitz Hall, or call 206-543-6101.


UW Food Pantry

The UW Food Pantry is still in operation with an online ordering form. When your order is prepared, head to Poplar Hall, their entrance is on the north side of the building at Brooklyn and 41st.

Spring quarter hours (3/31 - 6/12/20) - hours subject to change:
Tue: 9 AM - 1 PM & 3 PM - 6 PM
Wed: 9 AM - 1 PM & 3 PM - 6 PM
Thu: 9 AM - 1 PM & 3 PM - 6 PM


U-District Food Bank

University District Food Bank (5017 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105, (206) 523-7060) The University District Food Bank serves residents of zip codes 98102, 98103, 98105, 98112, 98115, and 98125.

Mon: 9 AM - 3 PM
Tue: 11 AM - 8 PM
Thu: 11 AM - 8 PM
Fri: 11 AM - 4 PM
Sat: 9 AM - 12 PM


The Psychology Ph.D. Graduate Program recognizes that during these unprecedented times it may make more sense to go on-leave status and not be registered for the quarter. Students who are in good standing with the program may receive up to four quarters of on-leave status (the quarters do not have to be used up all at once). Quarters spent on-leave count in the year-to-degree with doctoral degrees intended to be completed in 10 years. If you may need more than four quarters, there is a renewal process. Full policy and procedure is listed in our graduate manual. Please send an email to Jeanny if you would like to discuss scenarios.

Students who are interested in mental health services are able to schedule a secure online appointment with a counselor. Individual, group and crisis counseling are available via secure online video sessions. Students can also access online workshops and other content to enhance your well-being and self-care.

Hall Health Mental Health

Call 206-543-5030 to make an appointment or visit https://wellbeing.uw.edu/topic/mental-health/ for more info.

  • Psychiatric medication management
  • Group counseling
  • Brief individual counseling
  • Crisis response

Counseling Center

Call 206-543-1240 to make an appointment or visit https://www.washington.edu/counseling/ for more info.

  • Online workshops
  • Brief individual counseling
  • Crisis response

What can I expect from an online appointment with the Counseling Center or Hall Health Mental Health?

We will meet with you via secure online video sessions and can discuss your concerns. We will then work collaboratively with you to develop a plan for next steps. Next steps may include effective coping strategies, a follow-up appointment, or referral to other resources.

Who should I contact for mental health services?

Both Hall Health Mental Health and the Counseling Center offer similar counseling services. If you already have a provider at Hall Health or you are interested in medication, Hall Health may be a good place to start. If you do not have access to health insurance, the Counseling Center may be a good place to start. Either way, the professionals at both places can help direct you to the appropriate service.

What additional options are available this quarter to attend to my mental wellbeing?

There are a number of resources available online, including:

  • The UW centralized wellness website, which includes self-help mindfulness resources.
  • Sanvello is a mobile app that helps you monitor your wellbeing and teaches you coping strategies. Its premium content is currently free in response to additional stress related to COVID-19.
  • UW Recreation is offering several yoga, mindfulness and nutrition series online.
  • UW Counseling Center created a webpage for coping with COVID-related stress. They also created a flyer with helpful tips.

Additional Mental Health resources

  • Supporting Well-Being during the COVID-19 Crisis from the UW’s Center for Child and Family Well-Being which includes resources for guided mindfulness, resources for families with children, and a list of other resources on meditation, mindfulness and resilience.
  • Coping with Fear and Sadness During a Pandemic: a practical resource guide for COVID-19-related psychological distress from Dr. Sanderson (a psychology professor at Hofstra University)
  • A Seattle Times piece on anxiety and fear related to COVID-19 by Dr. Bedard Gilligan, Emma PeConga, and Dr. Zoellner (UW psychology)
  • APA resources and ABCT resources: information and resources collated by the American Psychological Association and the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies including guidance on anxiety, coping, remote work, and finding a therapist.

UW Student Technology Loan Program

Allows registered students to borrow laptops, cameras, projectors, and other equipment for free.


City of Seattle

The City of Seattle has free and discounted devices as part of their surpluses and connections.


UW SafeCampus

UW’s violence-prevention and response Program. Available 24 hours / 7 days a week.


National Domestic Violence Hotline

Provides lifesaving tools and immediate support to enable victims to find safety and live lives free of abuse. Available 24 hours / 7 days a week.


UW Legal Services

An on-campus law office that provides a safe and confidential space for all UW-Seattle and Bothell students who have legal questions or concerns.



Comcast/Xfinity will provide up to 2 months of free internet service to eligible students who live in their service area. They also have a program for low-income individuals if you do not qualify for the student internet program.



U-Haul is providing 1 month of free self-storage to keep student belongings.



Washington has a moratorium on rental evictions due to COVID-19. Tenants who receive any eviction notice during the moratorium should contact the Renting in Seattle hotline at 206‐684‐5700 or go online to submit a complaint.